Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Writing Process

Initially, I wasn't sure what direction my paper would take. I profiled bright green environmentalism for the last writing assignment so I wanted to write about how sustainable cities are an ideal neighborhood. It was kind of difficult to figure out how I could pick a topic related to this which matched the prompt so I pushed forward by finding a bunch of sources related to sustainable cities. I had a small epiphany when I realized how sustainable cities fit in with how land use is an environmental issue. This lead me to frame my paper on the environmental issue of land use, with a focus on dense cities versus urban sprawl.

After writing almost the minimum length, I realized that I hadn't even addressed the stakeholders involved. I was able to identify a few different scenarios: 1) People live in dense cities which would require people to abandon their communities to move to the city, and 2) People remove themselves from cities and industrialization which would hurt large companies and everyone who is invested in industrialization. I chose to only write about the first scenario since in my paper, I argued that future neighborhoods should look like dense cities instead of sprawled suburbs. For this scenario, it was difficult to focus on all stakeholders and supporting my statements with sources. In order for people to transition to dense cities, families would have to move from their homes. Also, a lot of effort would have to go into the planning which allows for dense cities. With this being the only 2 stakeholders I could identify, it was difficult to focus my paper on these aspects.

No comments:

Post a Comment